This Career Community is intended for students interested in careers in public, private, or community education. Explore the Education & Youth Services industry!
The skills developed by trained educators who hold an inspiring presence as well as communication, leadership, conflict resolution, collaboration, adaptability and patience are in high demand across multiple fields, engaging a lifelong love of learning and a desire to educate.
The Career Community helps you connect your major to an industry, attend industry events and access targeted internships and job postings, allowing our employer partners to easily recruit students who have the skills their company is seeking.
Below are resources by major. Also make sure to scroll further to view jobs/internship highlights, events, resources, career videos, news and more.
When you are ready to engage with the McCafferty Career Center, click on your Career Advisor’s information to the right and make an appointment!
- Idealist – Non-profit organization’s internship, job, and volunteer postings.
- Carney Sandoe and Associates
- Education America
- MA Association of School Superintendents
- MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Peace Corps
- School Spring
- Education Crossing
- You Schools
- K12 Job Spot
- Boston Public School Hiring Pool
- BC High
- Boston Public Schools
- Brookline Public Schools
- Boston Latin School
- Holy Name Parish
- Fenway High
- 826 Boston
- Sister Mary Heart
- Mission Grammar School
- Saint Joseph’s Preparatory High School
- St. John Paul II Catholic Academy
- Raphael Hernández School
- North Quincy High School
- The Eliot School
- Cathedral High School
- Murphy K-8 School
- Revere High School
- The Lawrence School
- Tobin High School
- 3-Point Foundation
Sample Job Titles: Elementary School Teacher; Middle School Teacher; High School Teacher; Special Education Teacher (High School); Special Education Teacher (Elementary School); Self-Enrichment Teacher; Administrator; Health Education Specialist; Principal; Physical Education Specialist, Teaching Assistant; Professor,
Sample Job Sites: Ashland Public Schools, Atlantis Charter School, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Latin School, Boston Public Schools, Braintree Public Schools, Brooke Charter School East Boston, Brookline Public Schools, Brooklyn Amity School, Browne Middle School, Cambridge Public Schools, Capital Preparatory High School, Capitol Child Development Center, CASE Collaboration, Charter School, Chatham Elementary, Chelsea Public Schools, Cheshire Public Schools, Cheshire Academy, City Year, Clark Avenue School, Dever Elementary School, Diman Vocational Technical School, East Falmouth Elementary, Eliot School, Elizabeth G. Lyons Elementary School, Everett Public Schools, Framingham Public Schools, Granger Elementary, Hanson School, Haverhill Public Schools, Hingham Middle School, Hopkinton and Kearsarge School Districts, Immaculate Conception School, John D. Runkle Elementary School, John F. Kennedy Memorial School, Lafayette School, Lawrence Public Schools, Longsjo School, Lyndon School, Lynn Public Schools, Marianapolis Prep, Martin Luther King Charter School, Mary Lanata, Matignon High School, Medfield Afterschool Program, Meten Prep Academy, Millis Public Schools, Mission Grammar School, Monomoy Regional Middle School, Mt Alvernia High School, Nantucket High School, Nashoba Regional School District, Nashua School District, New Bedford High School, New Haven Public Schools, North Quincy High School, Norwich Free Academy, Pierce School, Pioneer Valley, Quincy Catholic Academy, St. John’s Preparatory School, Wells International School, Rowley Public Schools, Springfield Public Schools, Shrewsbury High School, Sharon Middle School, Tobin Community School, Weymouth Public Schools, Worcester Public Schools
- Career Guide for Teachers
- 4+1 Masters in Education Program
- Dept of Labor & Training – O*Net
- How to Become a Teacher
- How to Become a Special Educator
- Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
- Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Home Page
Teaching Programs & Fellowships
- Boston Teacher Residency – 1 year, full-time, teaching in BPS while completing master’s level coursework
- Citizen Schools – 2-year fellowship, for middle school students in low-income communities
- City on a Hill – 1-year fellowship, train & certify for teaching in urban public high schools
- Dudley Promise Corp – Serve in Dudley elementary schools with training and activities
- Edward Brooke Charter School Associate Teacher Program – Associate Teachers placed on grade-level teams for a year-long (paid) apprenticeship in great teaching.
- Teach for America – 2 years teaching in a low-income community
- City Year – Work directly with student to support during and after school
- Match Corps – 1-year urban ed fellowship, focused on tutoring and mentoring
- Match Education – Tutoring program for those who know they want to teach at high performing urban schools
For students who do not want to teach and are interested in a broader scope of careers within the education industry, there are resources for you too!
Sample Job Titles: Curriculum Design and Development, School Administration and Management, Educational Policy (at the local, state and federal government levels), Training and Development, Human Resources, Speech/Language Pathology, Translator/Interpreter, Special Education, Health Education Specialist, Principal, Physical Education Specialist, Admissions Counselor, Inclusion Facilitator, College Advisor, College Admissions, Science Specialist, Department Chair, Help & Information Coordinator, Team Lead, Science Coach, Title 1 Interventionist, Allocation Analyst
Sample Job Sites: Activa, American International College, Bright Horizons, College Advising Corps, College of Mount Saint Vincent, Curry College, Holiday Inn, MEDDEAS, Newmarket Recreation, TJX Companies, Tutoring Company, Tufts Medical Center, UMass Medical Center
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – The Government’s premier publication with information about hundreds of occupations. Learn about salary, what the day to day looks like & what level of education, licenses or degrees you’ll need