International Students

Emmanuel College is home to students from 42 countries and welcomes applicants from around the globe. At Emmanuel, International Students include non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents.  You may notice cultural differences throughout your internship/job search that may impact how prep your applications, how you network and present yourself to employers, and interview.

Through collaboration with the Office of International Programs, we prepare International Students with the tools needed to be successful throughout their time here and away whether it be domestic or international. Through presentations and events as well as resources we cover OPT/CPT, transferable skills, resume & cover letter writing, tips on the US job market, cultural guides, networking, interview prep, and post graduate plans.

Before starting any job/internship search meet with Jill Meleedy to go over your individual visa information.

Next schedule an appointment to meet with your Career Advisor to create a resume and cover letter using our guides.

Finally, research cultural differences you may encounter in a job search.

  • BNID – serves as a point of connection for groups & individuals in the Boston area who are concerned with issues of international development & global justice.
  • Going Global  – has approximately 500,000 records of companies that have applied for H1B visas.
    • Look up these companies by industry, job title, state and/or city.
  • My VISA Jobs – the largest employment website for immigrants seeking employment in the United States.
  • OPT Nation – Offers one stop destination for various OPT and CPT Jobs in USA.
  • Riley Guide provides comprehensive information about international agencies and NGOs and how to search for jobs internationally. Also allows for searching for companies and organizations by country.
  • Uniworld Online – American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries & Foreign Firms with Subsidiaries in the US.

*If pursuing a specific company please speak with them directly on how they handle H1B visas

Familiarize Yourself with an American Style Job/Internship Search

  • Start networking by leveraging your Emmanuel network including peers, advisors and professors
  • Create a LinkedIn profile, check out our LinkedIn Guide to get you started
  • Research interview etiquette
  • Attend Career Fairs and Recruiter Series events to network and learn about local organizations

  • American Association of University Women – International Fellowship – For full-time study or research to women who are not US citizens or permanent residents. Both graduates and postgraduate study at an accredited institution is supported.
  • Ford Foundation, International Fellowship Program – Provides opportunities for advanced study to exceptional individuals who will use this education to become leaders in their respective fields, furthering development in their own countries and greater economic and social justice worldwide.
  • Institute for International Education – Links to scholarship, academic and fellowship opportunities.
  • International Financial Aid – Premier resource for financial aid, college scholarship and grant information for US and international students.
  • International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search – Scholarship search for students from all different countries to study in America.
  • International Student – Provides resources for international students to do research on different institutions as well as access to scholarships and other resources.
  • J.W. Saxe Memorial Fund – For student involved in public service. The award enables students to gain practical experience in public service by taking a no-pay or low-pay job or internship during a summer or other term.
  • Korean American Scholarship Foundation – Undergraduate and graduate students with a Korean heritage studying in the United States regardless of citizenship status.
  • P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund – Provides scholarships for selected women from other countries for graduate study in the United States and Canada.
  • Samuel Huntington Public Service Award – Stipend for a graduating college senior to pursue one year of public service anywhere in the world.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work on-campus as a student employee?

International students may work on campus for a maximum of 12 hours per week. Students may not accept off-campus employment, unless it is approved as CPT (see below).

Can I participate in internships?

Students may participate in an internship if the internship is required for their major and if they are receiving academic credit for the internship. Students participating in internships must be getting credit for an internship and it must be approved by the International Student Advisor and in SEVIS as Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students may not begin working at an internship until they have received approval from their faculty internship supervisor and have received a new I-20.

Can I stay in the US after I graduate?

International students may apply for one year of work authorization after graduation in a field directly related to their major field of study. Students will work with the International Student Advisor to complete their OPT application. OPT is adjudicated by the government and students who are granted OPT will receive an Employment Authorization card.


Featured Articles

Contact & Location


Leslie Ferrick McCafferty Career Center
WSC 316
400 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115


Monday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm