Apply to be a Learning Assistant (LA) if you’d like to:
- help other students with challenging concepts in STEM
- showcase your leadership abilities on your resume
- revisit critical Introductory Biology content
- develop strong communication skills
- help design active learning activities, novel forms of assessment, and novel ways to present course material
- play an important role in supporting active learning in STEM courses
- Facilitate small group learning and engagement in all synchronous lecture sessions in the course. You will attend every lecture and work with different groups of 3 – 4 students each class period as they solve a homework problem during class. Your role will not be to provide the answers to the problems, but rather to facilitate the group dynamics, encourage the group to come up with questions they have, and normalize the “not knowing.”
- Attend a weekly 1-hour course preparation session with the Instructors and the ARC Peer Tutors in the course (time TBD by Instructors and LAs).
All LAs will be paid $600 for their work.
We are looking for students who successfully completed BIOL 1105/1106 (with a grade of “B-” or better) who have strong communication skills and are ready to contribute actively to the Departments’ goals of advancing equity and inclusiveness.
To formally apply, please submit a cover letter with the following information:
1) Name & E-mail address
2) Graduation Year
3) When did you take BIOL 1105/1106?
4) Who was your lecture instructor for BIOL 1105/1106?
5) In what ways do you believe being an Instructional Assistant for BIOL 1105 would be especially meaningful to you? Please incorporate experiences that relate to the bullets above (in the description).
6) One of the goals of the Instructional Assistant program is to contribute to the equity and inclusiveness of the Emmanuel College * learning experience. How do you or how could you contribute to these efforts? Feel free to share your own experiences with diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at Emmanuel in your response.
7) In working as a course learning assistant, you should block out the course meeting times for the course section that you wish to work in. Which course/section(s) listed below would work for you based on your SP24 course schedule? (Select all that apply)
- BIOL 1105 01 – T,Th 9:25 am – 10:40 am
- BIOL 1105 02 – T,Th 10:50 am – 12:05 pm
- BIOL 1105 03 – T,Th 1:40 pm – 2:55 pm
- BIOL 1105 04 – T,Th 3:05 pm – 4:20 pm
Application due date: December 12th . Short interviews will be conducted following the application due date.