Position Title: Residential Mentor
Supervisor: Director of STEPS
Hours: Tuesday- Friday 9AM – 6PM (ON-SITE)
Salary: $19.23-$20.19 (Overtime Eligible)
Economic Mobility Pathways (EMPath) transforms lives by helping people move out of poverty and provides other organizations with the tools to do the same.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
EMPath provides families with transitional emergency housing assistance as a family shelter provider for The Commonwealth of Massachusetts through contractual funding from the Executive Office of Livable Communities. The Residential Mentor is a part of a dynamic team providing Mobility Mentoring®—an internationally recognized economic coaching approach. Coaches interface with program participants daily, support operations, conduct unit inspections, ensure shelter safety through direct care and empathy while building community and kinship.
This position is considered essential, which requires reporting to work during snow, weather emergencies and other conditions that may close business functions of EMPath.
- Welcomes and orients new shelter participants to living arrangements and community expectations for cleanliness and inspections
- Monitors and evaluates all STEPS units for conditions by conducting weekly inspections in rotation
- Communicates with participants community expectations for cleanliness compliance.
- Completes timely and accurate inspection documentation; follows-up with Director of Program Supports to ensure clear and timely inspection findings
- Provides timely notices to participants for HLC inspections
- Supports the director with administrative responsibilities as needs arise.
- Supports Program Mentors to ensure safety and operating procedures-including move-ins/outs, transfers, and collection of unit keys.
- Works closely with Economic Mobility coaches to communicate participant challenges linked to inspection matters in a timely fashion
- Stays up to date on EOHLS Uniform Shelter Rules
- Adheres to EOHLC Uniform Shelter Rules on Access to units/searches
- Timely reporting to supervisor of concerns raised and/or observations of non-compliance with EOHLC Uniform Shelter Rules during inspections.
- Resolves inspection issues related to participant behavior in a dignified and competent manner
- Guides participants through problem-solving, intervention, de-escalation and mediation related to inspections as necessary.
- Provides administrative and direct service support to family programming, initiatives or special projects.
- Participates in team meetings to contribute to continuous program improvement. and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent; Associate degree in human services, child welfare, hospitality or related field preferred.
- At least 1 year working with diverse populations, including persons experiencing homelessness, domestic violence, substance abuse or mental health crises.
- Bilingual in Haitian-creole or Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong soft skills or emotional intelligence needed to work under pressure or in complex situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, observance, and ability to make sounds judgements when necessary.
- Ability to work well with others, and collaboratively in teams.
- Basic Microsoft Office Suite computer skills.
- CPR and First Aid certified a plus, or willing to complete required training.
- Driver’s License and Reliable Vehicle.
Working Conditions: Requires walking, sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Ability to lift to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Work is performed in the community at home visits and in a homeless shelter setting. Work may be stressful at times. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to communicate effectively with staff and participants.
If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
All offers of employment at EMPath are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.