Hours: The Per Diem Housing Mentor covers shifts made available by vacancies or when regularly scheduled staff members are unavailable for work (e.g., vacation, jury duty, leave of absence, illness). Must be able to generally work from 3-11pm ET. (ON-SITE)
Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
Position Title: Residential Mentor – Per Diem Shift
Supervisor: Residential Supervisor
Economic Mobility Pathways (EMPath) transforms lives by helping people move out of poverty and provides other organizations with the tools to do the same.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
EMPath provides families with transitional emergency housing assistance as a family shelter provider for The Commonwealth of Massachusetts through contractual funding from the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). The Residential Mentor is a part of a dynamic team providing Mobility Mentoring®—an internationally recognized economic coaching approach. Coaches interface with program participants daily, supports operations, ensure shelter safety through direct care and empathy while building community and kinship.
This position is considered essential, which requires reporting to work during snow, weather emergencies and other conditions that may close business functions of EMPath.
- Direct participants as they enter and exit shelter, maintain daily shift routines and ensure Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and Hasting House shelter policies and operations are upheld.
- Welcome and orient new shelter participants to program services and guidelines.
- Provide effective communication and collaborate among shifts at daily shift reports to ensure effective service delivery and smooth transitions for continued services.
- Support daily shelter activities to ensure safety and operating procedures-including house logs, participant activities, and engagements with resources or external partners.
- Works closely with Economic Mobility Coaches to support goal progress and achievement in activities of daily living through motivation and strengths-based engagement.
- In collaboration with coaches, support participants in goal progress and action items including coordination of housing applications, budgeting, education & training, childcare, well-being and related matters.
- Coach participants through problem-solving, direct support, intervention, de-escalation and mediation as necessary.
- Provide administrative and direct service support to family programming, initiatives or special projects.
- Participation in team meetings to contribute to continuous program improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalency; Associate’s Degree in human services, child welfare, hospitality or related field preferred.
- At least 1 year working with diverse populations, including persons experiencing homelessness, domestic violence, substance abuse or mental health crises.
- Bilingual in Haitian-creole or Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong soft skills or emotional intelligence needed to work under pressure or in complex situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, observant, and ability to make sounds judgements when necessary.
- Ability to work well with others, and collaboratively in teams.
- Basic Microsoft Office Suite computer skills.
- CPR and First Aid certified a plus, or willing to complete required training.
Working Conditions: Requires walking, sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Work is performed in a homeless shelter setting. Work may be stressful at times. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to communicate effectively with staff and participants.
Adherence to Per Diem Policy:
- Per Diem Housing Mentors work on an “as needed” basis with no regularly scheduled work commitment. Hours may be scheduled in advance, or the employee may be called in to work as the need arises.
- Per Diem Housing Mentors are expected to work at least one shift every pay period to maintain their status of employment. A shift is considered any consecutive eight hour time commitment as defined by the Director of Residential and Program Mentoring.
- Per Diem Housing Mentors are expected to regularly check their email for listings of shifts available, and respond back with their interest in shifts. For emergency shifts, i.e., as the result of a call out, Per Diem Housing Mentors will be given as much notice as possible. Per Diem Housing Mentors are expected to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner to either accept or decline the shift. In the event the Per Diem Housing Mentor is not needed to come in, at least 1.5 hours’ notice will be provided before the scheduled shift.
- In the event that the Per Diem Housing Mentor reports to work and the shift has been subsequently cancelled, the Per Diem Housing Mentor will be paid the greater of a minimum of four hours or the actual time worked. Any applicable Priority Shift Rate will be applied.
- Per Diem House Mentors are expected to abide by EMPath’s policies and procedures, including punctuality, attendance, and calling out for absences. Per Diem Housing Mentors are required to give the same resignation notification as regularly scheduled employees, (minimum of two weeks).
- Per Diem Housing Mentors are required to notify the Director of Residential and Program Mentoring in advance of any period of unavailability that will last two weeks or longer, e.g., due to personal vacation or illness.
- Per Diem Housing Mentors are expected to attend scheduled trainings and meetings.
If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
All offers of employment at EMPath are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.