Hours: Sunday-Thursday 7AM – 3PM (ON-SITE)
Salary: $19.23-$20.19 (Overtime Eligible)
Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
Position Title: Residential Mentor – Morning Shift
Supervisor: Residential Supervisor
Economic Mobility Pathways (EMPath) transforms lives by helping people move out of poverty and provides other organizations with the tools to do the same.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
EMPath provides families with transitional emergency housing assistance as a family shelter provider for The Commonwealth of Massachusetts through contractual funding from the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). The Residential Mentor is a part of a dynamic team providing Mobility Mentoring®—an internationally recognized economic coaching approach. Coaches interface with program participants daily, supports operations, ensure shelter safety through direct care and empathy while building community and kinship.
This position is considered essential, which requires reporting to work during snow, weather emergencies and other conditions that may close business functions of EMPath.
- Direct participants as they enter and exit shelter, maintain daily shift routines and ensure Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and Hasting House shelter policies and operations are upheld.
- Welcome and orient new shelter participants to program services and guidelines.
- Provide effective communication and collaborate among shifts at daily shift reports to ensure effective service delivery and smooth transitions for continued services.
- Support daily shelter activities to ensure safety and operating procedures-including house logs, participant activities, and engagements with resources or external partners.
- Works closely with Economic Mobility Coaches to support goal progress and achievement in activities of daily living through motivation and strengths-based engagement.
- In collaboration with coaches, support participants in goal progress and action items including coordination of housing applications, budgeting, education & training, childcare, well-being and related matters.
- Coach participants through problem-solving, direct support, intervention, de-escalation and mediation as necessary.
- Provide administrative and direct service support to family programming, initiatives or special projects.
- Participation in team meetings to contribute to continuous program improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalency; Associate’s Degree in human services, child welfare, hospitality or related field preferred.
- At least 1 year working with diverse populations, including persons experiencing homelessness, domestic violence, substance abuse or mental health crises.
- Bilingual in Haitian-creole or Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong soft skills or emotional intelligence needed to work under pressure or in complex situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, observant, and ability to make sounds judgements when necessary.
- Ability to work well with others, and collaboratively in teams.
- Basic Microsoft Office Suite computer skills.
- CPR and First Aid certified a plus, or willing to complete required training.
Working Conditions: Requires walking, sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Work is performed in a homeless shelter setting. Work may be stressful at times. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to communicate effectively with staff and participants.
If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
All offers of employment at EMPath are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.